While also compatible with Mac and Windows systems, the iXR from Tascam is a portable audio/MIDI USB interface primarily designed for recording to your iPhone and iPad at resolutions up to 24-bit/96 kHz. It is MFi-certified and connects to your iOS devices via standard USB to Lightning or 30-pin cables without the need for an adapter.
There are few controls, and use is simple. The unit features two Ultra-HDDA mic preamps with phantom power, two direct inputs for your guitar or bass, two line inputs for your keyboards, and MIDI in/out connectors. To avoid latency, the monitor knob on the front panel allows for monitoring what is being recorded without the signal going through the computer or iOS device.
The two balanced stereo outputs let you connect your iOS device to a concert sound system, or to powered speakers. Furthermore, the unit can operate in stand-alone mode when you want to practice an instrument without recording it.
Built from rolled aluminum, the rugged body features a slim design with guards to protect the front jacks, allowing you to safely carry this unit wherever you want to record.
The iXR comes bundled with Cubasis LE multitrack recording app for iOS, and Cubase LE for Mac and Windows.
- High-resolution recording formats up to 24-bit/96 kHz
- MFi-certified for direct connection with iOS devices using Lightning to USB cable (available separately)
- Slim, rolled-aluminum body with Kensington lock port and protective guards
- Two Ultra-HDDA (High Definition Discrete Architecture) mic preamps
- Balanced XLR/TRS input jacks with +48V phantom power
- Input-gain range of 57 dB for dynamic and condenser microphones
- Supports direct guitar input
- Offers multiple power options: USB charger, mobile battery with micro-USB output, or USB bus power from computer
- Will operate in stand-alone mode when you want to hear a mic or instrument without recording it
- Monitor knob on the front panel for zero-latency monitoring
- Headphone-output mini jack with dedicated volume knob
- Two balanced TRS output jacks for connection to powered monitors
- MIDI input & output enable connection to keyboards and other MIDI devices
- Supports Windows (ASIO/WDM) and Mac (Core Audio)
- Compliant with USB Audio 2.0
- Compatible with most major DAW software
- Firmware can be updated from iOS device
- Bundled with Cubase LE for Mac & Windows, and Cubasis LE for iOS